After a 10 year hiatus Red Bull Flugtag is back for its 3rd South African installment. Join us at the V&A Waterfront on the 9th December for a day of fun-filled mayhem. Here’s everything you need to know about this crazy event:
General Event Information & Tips:
- Red Bull Flugtag is a free event, so there’s no need to secure a ticket.
- Viewing space is limited so get down early.
- No public will be allowed onto Jetty 1.
- Viewing screens will be set up at the Amphitheatre and Clock Tower
- Crafts will be flying from 10h00 - 17h00 (subject to weather conditions)
- Goldfish will be ending off the day performing from a secret location so be sure to stick around after the event.
- Get up close and personal to our heroes by visiting the teams in their hangars on Jetty 6 before they fly.
- There are only three roads that lead into the V&A Waterfront so expect delays and be sure to car pool.
- Use public transport or park in town and walk along the City pedestrian route to the V&A Waterfront
- Normal V&A parking areas and rates will apply on the day.
- No private or commercial boats will be allowed into the event arena.
- No swimming is allowed other than if you’re a crazy Red Bull Flugtag pilot
- No pets (especially pet sharks) allowed.
Your hosts for the day:
The MCs on the day are non-other than Sias Du Plesis, Elana Afrika and Dj Switch. Sias will be stationed at the ramp chatting to the teams as they prepare to take flight, Elana will be at the Pilot Take-out where the pilots and their crafts will be extracted while Switch will be making his way through the crowds.
We’ve got some awesome surprises planned for you throughout the day so make sure you follow @RedBullZA and @RedBullMOBILEZA for the 411. Electro Duo, Goldfish will be ending off the day performing from a secret location.
Judging is broken down into 3 parts – creativity, showmanship and flight distance. To make sure the best team wins we have a fine line-up of judges. First up is head-judge, media mogul and founder of 2OceansVibe, Seth Rotherham. He’ll be joined by South African Olympian Long Jumper, Khotso Mokoena; London 2012 Olympic Medalist, Bridgitte Hartley; host of the Breakfast Show on KFM, Ryan O’ Connor; funny man and co-star in the movie Copposites, Siv Ngesi; Wingsuit BASE Jumper, Leander Lacey; Dakar Rally winner Giniel De Villiers and his navigator Dirk Von Zitzewitz and finally aerobatic pilot Glen Dell.
Structures are already going up at the V&A Waterfront and we suggest you pay it a visit beforehand to get the lay of the land. If you don’t manage to get down to the V&A Waterfront before the event here’s a simple map with some of the landmarks:
The current world record for longest flight at a Red Bull Flugtag is 69.79m set in Germany earlier this year. Will one of our fearless teams break this record on Sunday?
Red Bull MOBILE will be hosting a secret party somewhere at the V&A Waterfront. This promises to be something uber special. To enter tweet an image of yourself in flight mode at @RedBullMobileZA along with the hashtag #FlugtagMadeMeDoIt. Competition closes on Friday at 5pm.
Red Bull MOBILE Fan Park:
There’s more from Red Bull MOBILE – if the crowds get too much you can head over to the Clock Tower and rest on a bean bag in the shade, play on our Vending Cans, grab an ice-cold Red Bull or play the Flugtag game on an iPad.
Red Bull Flugtag promises to be a day to remember! To make sure you have a token from the day we’ve set up photobooths around the venue. Stop by the Amphitheatre and have your photo taken against a green screen, or use our automated photobooth with the ramp and Table Mountain as your backdrop. And look out for our roaming photographers as they’ll be snapping away in the crowd throughout the day.
Make sure you have your say by taking part in our voting application. After each flight you’ll have a chance to score that team out of 10. The team with the highest score at the end of the day wins the Red Bull MOBILE Crowd Champion Award. By taking part you’ll also stand a chance to win one of 5 Red Bull MOBILE handsets and starter packs.
Hope can you join us on Sunday for all the mayhem!
• 10 Tips to surviving Red Bull Flugtag
• It’s all about the fun
• Work hard, play harder